Monday, October 23, 2006

Hey, It's Only a Post, Man!

Eek! When I went back to David Brin's blog (http://davidbrin.blogspot.com/2006/10/past-shines-light-on-future.html#comments) for code I made the mistake of replying to a post of his comparing the war on terror to Rome's war on the pirates and predicting that it would lead to an evil dictatorship (his POV, not mine). I just pointed out that it was actually a better historical comparison to our war against the Barbary Pirates--and he went totally ballistic! He wrote all kinds of nasty stuff about how I was showing off, then he deleted the first post and wrote a second:

Historical pedantry can be used to illustrate, as I tried to do.

Or to make EXACT (and therefore false) parallels - which is what you accuse me of doing.

Or it can be used to obfuscate and preen, as you have just done.


Anyone who knows me, knows I'm way too shy in person to 'preen' or even enjoy a good argument. When someone gets mad at me it's like everything just flies out of my head and I can't keep my facts straight, even when I know them. I guess his problem is that he lives in Oregon and doesn't get out much. I was in Eugene a few years ago, and that is a very unreal state, you always feel like there are gnomes and trolls lurking in the woods there. So here's what I wrote him back:

Wow, I had no idea you were sort of famous. My friend Carlos says you wrote the book the movie 'The Postman' was made from--but I didn't think it was fair to judge you on the basis of that, so he loaned me the paperback, which I am one-half of the way through. I thought I'd read it in case I am being insulted by somebody like Arthur C. Clarke or Isaac Asimov ;) Being called names can be sexy sometimes--but only when the right person is doing it. Not that it would work with Arthur C. Clarke.

In the meantime, I gotta be honest with you..I'm not really sure what there is on this site that's appropriate for putting into a 'blook', as you say you are going to. Don't people pay for those? As I understand it, a blook is either a narrative like a novel, or a non-fiction series like 'Demon Wife' in Japan--either way, it seems to me that it's about people. And a story. In fact, I bet I could write a blook myself, and I've just this minute decided I will on my own blog site! Thanks for giving me the idea!

I double-dare you to come 'have a blook' sometime ;)


That's right, I'm going to tell my story! I've been thinking about writing down all the weird and amazing things that happened to me in Finland last summer anyway, but I guess I didn't really know how to structure it. And no one will believe it anyway, I guess...even I still don't, actually. But setting it all down here is the perfect solution (not that anybody's reading this--yet!) So I'll start tomorrow, when my class schedule is less crazy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home